The 2015 Island Hopper Songwriter Festival, a two-week event throughout the beaches of Captiva and Fort Myers is kicking off on September 17 and runs through September 27. Hint, Hint: there’s even a newly added location in Historic Fort Myers! We invite you to enjoy exclusive performances from many nationally-acclaimed songwriters at venues across our islands—with West Wind Island Resort as the perfect spot to relax and retreat between non-stop entertainment. With FREE performances from some of the greatest local and nationally-acclaimed and Billboard chart songwriters, you sure won’t want to miss this event!
In celebration for the upcoming festival, we’ve compiled the ultimate “411” guide to your weekend at the 2015 Island Hopper Songwriter Fest including a list of venues with distance from West Wind Island Resort, schedule of events, transportation information, and other useful tips to make your Island Hopper experience something to remember!
Dates & Locations
Captiva: September 17-20th
Historic Fort Myers: September 21-24th
Fort Myers Beach: September 25-27th
West Wind Island Resort is just a short trip away from some of Island Hoppers’ top performances. Click here to view the venues!
- Jana Kramer
- Kristian Bush
If you’re planning on going off and on the island, don’t forget to have some cash on you for the Sanibel Causeway Toll. There are no performances off Island for the first weekend, but just in case you feel like exploring the area, make sure to have the $6 on you.
Bicycling is a very popular activity on the island. While you may not be able to walk to and from these destinations, we have plenty of recommendations on how to get you where you need to go!
Sept. 25th from 6-11 p.m., Sept. 26th from 11 a.m. – 11 p.m., and Sept. 27th from 11:30 a.m. to 6:50 p.m.
Adventures in Paradise is offering a continuous shuttle from Tween Waters to Chadwick Square with a stop at Andy Rosse Lane.
The S Car Go departs from RC Otter’s Cantina’s Captiva, Captiva Pizza and Keylime Bistro. Contact Captiva Island Inn for details.
For off-island events, there will be a Downtown Fort Myers and Fort Myers Beach trolley running through the event.
See additional transportation details here!
Sanibel/Captiva Bicycle or Segway Rentals
- Billy’s Bikes & Rentals located at 1509 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel (Closed Sunday)
- Finnimore’s Cycle Shop located at 2353 Periwinkle Way, Sanibel (Open 7 days a week)
Need a taxi?
- Sanibel Taxi Toll Free: (888) 527-7806
- Sanibel Cab Company Phone: (239) 472-0151
- Tip: the cost of a taxi from Southwest Florida International Airport (RSW) to Fort Myers would be approximately $35 for 1 to 3 passengers
Parking on Sanibel & Captiva Islands
If you’re heading to the beach, public parking lots have park-and-pay machines. The cost is $2 per hour, and each machine produces a receipt for you to put on your dash. The machines do not make change, but they accept $1, $5 and $10 bills, as well as Visa and MasterCard credit cards. Handicapped parking is free on Sanibel.
Roadside parking is not allowed, and some areas are restricted to those with permits. Permits are available to non-residents at a cost of $80 to $160. They are available at the Sanibel Recreation Center located at 3880 Sanibel-Captiva Road, Sanibel Island, FL.
Shopping, restaurants, and local attractions have their own free parking available, but it may be limited if a performance is popular. It’s best to carpool, take a taxi, or carve out some extra time for a bike ride if the event is packed.
- Be sure to apply sunscreen frequently avoid getting a sunburn while outdoors. Even if it seems overcast for a while, it’s still important to protect your skin from harmful rays. In addition to sunscreen, wearing a hat would also be a good idea.
- Hydrate often. Don’t go on a long bike ride without a bottle of water or sports drink.
- It’s pretty sunny in the sunshine state. Especially on Sanibel Island! Don’t forget to protect your eyes with shades.
- Attire is pretty casual and laid back on Sanibel Island.
- Up until October 31st, it’s turtle nesting season. Please do not pick up or move any of the turtles you may find on the beach.
- If you need downtime from all of the festivities, enjoy relaxing by our pool, take a walk down the beach, or click here to find out more about the different adventures that await you in the Southwest Florida area.
- If you still haven’t booked your room for the festival, there may still be time! Take advantage of our specials and receive a free night’s stay—click here for details.
…And most importantly, Enjoy!
Watch this video to see footage from the inaugural Island Hopper Songwriter Fest:
Contact our front desk at (800) 824-0476 or (239) 472-1541 check on room availability, so you can TRULY enjoy this great event while experiencing TRUE Sanibel at West Wind Island Resort.
Video & Photo Credits: FortMyers-Sanibel.com